Orienteering is a sport in which participants navigate around a course using a map and compass. Orienteering ACT is the body that organises and promotes Orienteering in the ACT.
Approaching Events - All are welcome (see "Events" for other events):
- Sat 25 May: Campbell Park Saturday/JL & Map Mates #3
- Sat 25 May, Sun 26 May: MTBO events cancelled due to environmental concerns
- Mon 27 May: Street Orienteering Duffy-Holder
- Wed 29 May: ACT League # 6 on 2 June. Optional on-line entries close 10.00pm
- Sat 1 Jun: Red Hill Saturday/JL & Map Mates #4
- Sun 2 Jun: Kowen East Jim Sawkins Memorial Event
Orientering at Farrer Ridge Saturday 18 May
Sunday, 19 May 2013
Frosty ground greeted the organisers at Farrer Ridge on Saturday but the sun soon climbed above the trees and made for another great day for the 2013 Saturday Metro racing.
Challenging courses set by Jane Saye for the first “bush” race of the season saw most people enjoying the tracks, gullies and rocks of Farrer Ridge.
Here follow some tips for the experienced and the new comer to Orienteering.
- Remember to choose a course that matches your capabilities.
- Remember to CLEAR and then CHECK your SI timing chip before you START.
- Remember to punch at the START (ie insert your SI chip into the START control unit) – this starts you race time.
- Remember to leave your SI timing chip in the control unit until it “beeps” or even a little longer. The unit first registers your visit then flashes and beeps then “writes” to your SI timing chip. If this final action is not completed, you will record a missing punch on your splits at the down load station. In general, the rules state, that you will NOT be reinstated.
- Remember to punch at the FINISH – this stops you race time.
- Remember to return to the registration desk to download your SI timing chip, whether or not you have completed your course. This is the only way we know if you have returned safely.
- Remember to align your map with north. Try to confirm where you are and where you want to go. Check off features that you expect to see along the way.
- Remember to get out there and have fun.
The results are here.